Bleeding after sex can be quite alarming, but is not usually serious.
Bleeding during sex is similar.
It should always be investigated.
Causes for bleeding after sex
- Hormone imbalance may cause bleeding after intercourse. This bleeding comes from inside the uterus during sex. This is the most common cause of bleeding during sex or bleeding after sex.
- Inflammation of the cervix, which causes the cervix to bleed when touched can cause bleeding during intercourse.
- Infections such as sexually transmitted diseases can cause bleeding after intercourse
- Damage to the vagina by rough sex
- Vaginal dryness particularly after the menopause can cause spotting after sex.
- Polyps on the cervix or in the uterus
- Early pregnancy complications, such as a miscarriage can cause bleeding after intercourse.
- Very rarely, bleeding after sex can be a sign of cancer of the cervix or vagina
Treatment of bleeding after sex
Sometimes no treatment is necessary. If the bleeding is coming from the cervix, and is troublesome, the cervix can be cauterised. Other bleeding after sex is treated depending upon the underlying cause.
We would usually arrange a detailed pelvic ultrasound scan
Careful examination is important